Releasing of CO2 at sea:
We must consider CO2 is only released when fire is out of control but Before releasing we must go through points mentioned below
- Seal engine room.
- All ventilation to be closed.
- Fuels and boiler within engine room to be shut down.
- Evacuate and seal the engine room. Head count.
- Check out the amount of CO2 required to be injected as per the planned injection information (found in CO2 room and remote station).
- Open fire cabinet door causing alarm to activate.
- Operate fire handle mechanism to fire the pilot bottles, which fires the bank of bottles in the engine room. Ensure hold valves are closed.
Planned injection information:
- CO2 arrangement plan.
- Procedure of firing.
- Number of bottles designated for each place protected.
- Number of non return valves.
- Always advisable to wait before carrying out an investigation.
- Maintain boundary cooling and observe temperature at various levels.
- Once a distinct fall in temperature has been observed an internal inspection and assessment may be carried out.
- Breathing apparagraphtus to be donned when entering the space. Checks on breathing apparagraphtus. 2/e and oiler to enter.
- Inspection to be carried out with spray fire fighting equipment, safety line and communication checked prior to entry.
- Once it has been confirmed that fire has been brought under control an additional assessment by chief engineer.
- When both opinions agreed upon damage control party to be sent in for cooling down work.