The Muster list shall show the duties assigned to the different members of the crew including :
- Closing the watertight doors, fire doors, valves, scuppers, side scuttles, skylights, portholes and other similar openings in the ship ;
- Equipping of the survival craft and other life saving appliances ;
- Preparation and launching of survival craft ;
- General preparations of other life-savings appliances ;
- Muster of passengers ;
- Use of communication equipment ;
- Manning of fire parties assigned to deal with fires;
The muster list shall specify the officers who are assigned to ensure that life saving and fire appliances are maintained in good condition and are ready for immediate use.
The muster list shall specify substitutes for key persons who may become disabled, taking into account that different emergencies may call for different actions.
The muster list shall show the duties assigned to members of the crew in relation to passengers in case of emergency:
- Warning the passengers ;
- Seeing that they are suitably clad and have donned their lifejackets correctly :
- Assembling passengers at muster stations ;
- Keeping order in the passageways and on the stairways and generally controlling the movements of the passengers ;
- Ensuring that a supply of blankets is taken to the survival craft.
The muster list shall be prepared before the ship proceeds to sea. After the muster list has been prepared, if any change takes place in the crew which necessitates an alteration in the muster list, the muster shall either revise the list or prepare a new list.
The formal of the muster list used on every ship shall be scrutinized by the surveyor every time the safety equipment on board a ship is impeded to ensure compliance with this schedule.