Objectives of surveys are –
- Ensure hull, structure and machinery maintained in good condition
- To remedy in good time any defects arising from age, wear, fatigue, damage.
- Conducted as per regulations in international conventions and codes.
In the process, interested parties such as owners, underwriters, shipping, etc. are able to obtain information on the state of the ship from the Classification society.
Examples: IOPP, Safety Con, Safety Equip., ILLC, Dangerous Goods.
You may also know about types of survey –
- Classification Surveys (for maintenance of class)
- Statutory Surveys (in accordance with flag state regulations/conventions’ requirements)
Surveys can be Periodical or Non-Periodical
- flag state regulations (special instructions)
- conventions (requirements)