Merchant ship notices which are published by the MCA and recommendations contained in it should be complied with. It is a method by which the MCA promulgates information, which is quickly brought to the attention of seafarers, management and those associated with the industry.
They are divided into three categories:
- Merchant Shipping Notices (white coloured):
- Convey mandatory information that must be complied with under UK law. In other words they explain and amplify statutory requirements.
- Marine Guidance Notices (blue coloured):
- SOLAS, MARPOL, etc.
- Marine Information Notes (green coloured):
- Administrative information aimed at training establishments.
- Each notice will be affixed as follows:
- (M): for merchant ships
- (F): for fishing vessels
- (M+F): for merchant ships and fishing vessels.