The Basics of Preparing a Pilot Plan
- Pilotage is visual navigation
- Pilotage needs to be planned
- Use large-scale charts
- Check dangers
- Check special rules
- Check VHF channels
Checklist for receiving pilot in bad weather
- Inform master.
- According to pilot instruction.
- All crew wear PPE, life Jacket.
- Made fast fore & aft safety line.
- Walkie talkie should be satisfactory and charged.
- Pilot access not sleeper, hazard trace
- Check pilot ladder.
- Stand by life buoy and life line
- Duping pick up pilot use the safety harness, safety line.
- Sufficient illumination.
- Always contract with bridge.
- Cheek pilot ladder if free of oil, grease.
- Check pilot ladder personally by going down few steps.
- no overboard discharged
- Once pilot onboard hoist (H) flag.
- Cheek ladder is twist or not.
- All activities report to bridge.
Few things must ask to pilot or port authority :
- Which side is alongside.
- How many above water level.
- Pilot boarding time.
Duty with Pilot :
As per BPG:-
- Frequently plot position.
- Observe radar, if dangerous target found call pilot.
- If any buoy now hazard see then call pilot.
- If he takes wrong action then notify.