Advantages of COW are:
- Substantial reduction in air pollution capacity since less oil continues to be aboard after discharge and also much less oil-contaminated water is handed throughout the ballast passage.
- Increased cargo out turn.
- Decreased storage tank rust caused by water washing.
- Reduction in time and cost of tank cleaning.
- Less ROB( remaining on board ) quantity , so higher freight can be earn by loading more cargo at next port
- Reduced sludge accumulation.
- Reduced gas freeing time.
- Reduced manual cleaning
Disadvantages of COW
- Need for additional equipments for COW and its regular maintenance as per PMS.
- Specialized man power required.
- Increased stay in the discharge port.
- Increased work load.
- Potential safety and pollution risk during COW operation as line pressure is 10 bar.