- As per MARPOL Annex -1 definition, Special area means:
- Some specific areas where coastal state legislation doesn’t allow any bilge water/slop discharges
- Areas as defined by Annex-1 where no bilge water/slop discharges are allowed
- Areas as defined by Annex-1, where special mandatory methods are adopted for the prevention of sea pollution by oil
- Areas as defined by Coastal state regulations(e.g. OPA-90), where special mandatory methods are adopted for the prevention of sea pollution by oil
- In which of the following documents on board, authentic information about the circumstances and procedures to obtain Radio Medical Advice can be found?
- Safety Management Manual
- The Ship Captain’s Medical Guide
- First Aid Booklet
- Code of safe working practices
- Which of the following documents carried by a ship is not issued under the SOLAS convention?
- Fire control plan/booklet
- Maneuvering booklet
- Minimum safe manning document
- Records of hours of rest
- When using the rainwater collection tubes on a life raft, the FIRST collection should be
- passed around so all can drink
- poured overboard because of salt washed off the canopy
- saved to be used at a later time
- used to boil food
- Which of the following is not an exception provided under MARPOL, Annex-1, regarding the discharge of oil or oily mixture into the sea?
- Discharge for the purpose of securing safety of a ship.
- Discharge for the purpose of saving life at sea.
- Discharge resulting due to damage to the ship because of Master’s fault even if the Master/Owner of the ship has taken all reasonable precautions to prevent/minimize discharge.
- Discharge resulting due to damage to the ship not because of Master’s fault, but because of a third party’s fault and action awaited by Master from that third party to prevent /minimize discharge
- Under OPA 90, who is responsible for mobilizing Oil Spill Removal Organization (OSRO), in the event of spill of oil or Noxious liquid Substances?
- Qualified Individual
- Technical Superintendent
- As per definition of MARPOL Annex-1, a Crude Oil Tanker means a tanker designed to carry:
- Crude oil and other dirty oils.
- Crude oil along with some refined products.
- Crude oil only.
- Crude oil, but alternatively may carry at times dirty and clean oil products also
- Which of the following organs of IMO consists of all member states?
- Facilitation Committee
- None of the above
- The maximum allowable weight of a portable fire extinguisher is ______________
- 5 Kg
- 23 Kg
- 9 Kg
- 46 Kg
- Under which maritime instrument is a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (COFR) issued?
- CLC 1992
- Fund convention
- OPA 1990
- If you observe any situation which presents a safety or pollution hazard during fuel transfer operations on a MODU, which of the listed actions should be taken first?
- Wait for the person-in-charge to act.
- Notify the ballast control operator.
- Shutdown the transfer operations
- Sound the fire alarm.
- As per the definition of MARPOL, Annex-1, a combination carrier means a ship designed to carry:
- Crude oil and refined oil products at the same time in different tanks
- Refined oil products and chemical products at the same time in different tanks
- A combination of different products at the same time, sometimes also known as a parcel tanker
- Either oil or solid cargoes in bulk
- As per MARPOL requirements, every crude oil tanker of ______________ tones deadweight and above delivered after 1st June 1982, shall be fitted with a cargo tank cleaning system using _______________
- 5000, Sea Water Washing
- 10000, Fresh Water Washing
- 20000, Crude Oil Washing
- 30000, Bilge Water Washing
- As per requirements of MARPOL Annex -1, all ships of 400 gross tonnage and above:
- Can carry fuel oil in fore peak, aft peak tanks and deep tanks.
- Cannot carry fuel oil in fore peak tank.
- Can carry fuel oil forward of collision bulkhead or aft of machinery space forward bulkhead, but not in the cargo area in case of tankers.
- Cannot carry more than 600 m3 of oil fuel in any single fuel tank
- Which of the following is a man overboard manoeuver?
- Neil Robertson turn
- Williamson turn
- Hard port
- Hard starboard
- The parent instrument of IMO is:
- UNCLOS I, 1958
- UNCLOS II, 1960
- UNCLOS III, 1974
- The IMO convention
- After a person has been revived by artificial respiration, they should be
- walked around until he is back to normal
- given several shots of whiskey
- kept lying down and warm
- allowed to do as he wishes
- Dumping of wastes at sea is controlled by which of the following IMO conventions?
- MARPOL 73/78
- London convention
- Hongkong convention
- Kenya convention
- The angular movement of a vessel about a horizontal line drawn from its bow to its stern is
- To prevent oil from escaping into the sea when ballasting through the cargo piping system, you should FIRST
- open sea suction valves, then start the cargo pump
- start the cargo pump, then open sea suction valves
- open block valves, then start the cargo pump
- open sluice valves, then start the cargo pump