Navigation Checklist in Coastal Waters and Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS) is to be completed by the officer on Watch once per Watch and a Log Entry made.
Have the following factors been taken into consideration in preparing the passage plan.
- All charts & nautical publications to be used been corrected up to date.
- Advise / recommendations in sailing directions.
- Ship’s draught.
- Effect of “Squat” on underkeel clearance in shallow water.
- Tides & currents.
- Weather particularly in areas renowned for poor visibility.
- Available navigational aids & their accuracy.
- Position-fixing methods to be used.
- Daylight / night-time passing of danger points.
- Traffic likely to be encountered – flow, type, volume.
- Any requirements for traffic seperation / routeing schemes.
- Are local / coastal warning broadcasts being monitored?
- Is participation in area reporting systems recommended?
- Have courses been laid off well clear of obstructions?
- Is the ship’s position being fixed at regular intervals?
- Are the errors of gyro/ magnetic compasses being checked regularly?
- Is the echo-sounder properly set and switched on where required?