SECTION – 4
- Position of center of buoyancy of a box shaped barge is at
- Half of the draught;
- Half of the depth of the hull
- All of the above
- None of the above
2. Which of the following statements is False?
- A collision bulkhead must be fitted on all types of ships.
- An after peak bulkhead must be fitted on all types of ships.
- One bulkhead at each end of machinery spaces must be fitted on all types of ships.
- The aft peak bulkhead must extend to the upper deck
- Shedder plates are sometimes provided between, the corrugated bulkheads and lower stool shelf plates. The purpose of shedder plates is to:
- Provide strength to the shelf plate
- Reduce the unsupported span of corrugated bulkhead
- Prevent piling up of dry cargo on horizontal portions of lower stool shelf plates
- Reduce stress concentration at the connections of corrugated bulkheads to the lower stool shelf plates
- If the cause of severe list or trim is due to off center ballast, counter flooding into empty tanks will______________
- increase the righting moment
- increase the righting arm
- increase list or trim
- decrease list or trim
- Stability after the unintentional flooding of a compartment on a cargo vessel is called.
- intact stability
- initial stability
- immersion stability
- damage stability
- Keel scantlings of any vessel are greatest amidships because __________.
- connections between forebody and afterbody are most crucial
- of maximum longitudinal bending moments
- of severest racking stresses
- resistance to grounding is at a maximum amidships
- A thirty pound plate would be __________.
- 3/8″ thick
- 1/2″ thick
- 3/4″ thick
- 1″ thick
- The ceiling is __________.
- the overhead in berthing compartments
- a wooden protection placed over the tank top
- material driven into seams or cracks to prevent leaking
- None of the above are correct
- The wooden planking that protects the tank top from cargo loading is called__________.
- A set of interior steps on a ship leading up to a deck from below is known as______.
- a companion way
- All of the above are acceptable
- Hull-Model relation is based on:
- Reynolds numbers of both Hull and Model are equal.
- Froude numbers of both Hull and Model are equal.
- Reynolds and Froude numbers of both Hull and Model are equal.
- None of the above
- Which statement about the free surface correction is TRUE?
- It is added to the uncorrected GM to arrive at the corrected available GM.
- It is obtained by dividing the free surface moments by 12 times the volume of displacement.
- It is obtained by dividing the total free surface by the total vertical moments.
- It is subtracted from the total longitudinal moments before dividing by displacement to find LCG.
- In order to calculate the TPI of a vessel, for any given draft, it is necessary to divide the area of the waterplane by __________.
- Wake is defined as
- w= (PN- V_S)/V_S ;
- w= (PN- V_a)/PN;
- w= (PN- V_S)/PN;
- w= (PN- V_a)/V_a ;