Inspection Of Wire Rope:-
A visual and physical examination should take place at regular intervals. Under normal conditions of use, wire rope can be inspected every 3 months. If a broken wire is discovered, then it should be inspected more often.
A thorough inspection is given below.
- Inspect termination of rope at the drum and other points.
- Inspect for broken wires.
- Inspect for corrosion.
- Inspect for deformation.
- Inspect for surface wear.
- Inspect for defective coiling.
- Inspect for deterioration due to snatch loading.
- Inspect lengths that run through blocks, particularly those which lie on the sheaves when the appliance is in the loaded condition.
Open the lay.
- Check internal lubrication.
- Degree of corrosion.
- Indentation caused by pressure of wear.
- Presence of broken wires.
An accurate log should be kept of inspection dates, rope condition, end for ending, replacement, etc.
Broken Wires: – Broken wires are usually a result of fatigue and wear.
Marine Order (part 32) “The total number of broken wires visible in a length of S.W.R. equal to 10 times it’s diameter should not exceed 5% of the total number of wires constituting the rope”.