- Is the engine room safe to enter?
- Is the machinery space adequately guarded?
- Safety operation instructions clearly displayed.
- Are lighting at different levels
- Is the area clear of combustible material, rags, etc?
- Level of supervision of inexperienced crew adequate.
- All personnel should be properly equipped.
- Means of escape- proper signs and adequate lighting.
- Maintenance of LSA / FFA equipment upto standard.
The investigation of accidents and dangerous occurrences will be an important part of the safety officer’s duties. The actual reporting of an accident will be carried out by the master but it is the statutory duty of the Safety officer to investigate the incident and to assist the master to complete the accident report form.
CREW<15 : One safety representative may be elected by the officers and ratings;
CREW>15 : One safety representative may be elected by the officers and one safety representative may be elected by the ratings.