A ship can request completion of a Declaration of Security when:
- The ship is operating at a higher security level than the port facility or another ship it is interfacing with;
- There is an agreement on a Declaration of Security between Contracting Governments covering certain international voyages or specific ships on those voyages;
- There has been a security threat or a security incident involving the ship or involving the port facility, as applicable;
- The ship is at a port which is not required to have and implement an approved port facility security plan; or
- The ship is conducting ship-to-ship activities with another ship not required to have and implement an approved ship security plan.