Chemicals which are carried in packaged form, in solid form or in bulk are regulated by Part A of SOLAS Chapter VII: Carriage of dangerous goods, which includes provisions for the classification, packing, marking, labelling and placarding, documentation and stowage of dangerous goods.
MARPOL Annex III (entered into force on 1st July 1992) also sets out regulations for the prevention of pollution by harmful substances in packaged form and includes general requirements for the issuing of detailed standards on packing, marking, labelling, documentation, stowage, quantity limitations, exceptions and notifications for preventing pollution by harmful substances. For the purpose of Annex III, “harmful substances” are those identified as “marine pollutants” in the IMDG Code.
Both SOLAS and MARPOL refer to the International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code, which was developed by IMO as a uniform international code for the transport of dangerous goods by sea.
APPLICATION: Apply to all ships carrying harmful substances in packaged form.
Annex III regulations:
- Marking & Labelling
- Quantity Limitations
- Port state control on operational requirements.
- Marine pollutant.
New Ship: A ship for which the building contract is placed or the keel of which is laid or which is at a similar state of construction on or after 27 sept, 2003.
Harmful Substances: are those substances which are identified as marine pollutants in the IMDG Code.
Existing ship: mans a ship which is built before 27 sept, 2003.
Annex III Documents:
- IMDG Code
- Document of compliance & According to 1 BC & BCH
- Multimodal Dangerous goods form.
- Container packing certificate.
- GESAMP (Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine environmental Protection.
- If mixed, segregation table.
- What is MARPOL and Why it is called as MARPOL 73/78?
- What are MARPOL New proposed annexes?
- What is Annex I of MARPOL 73/78 (Regulation for the Prevention of Pollution by Oil) and discharge regulations?
- What is Annex 2 of MARPOL 73/78(Regulation for the Control of Pollution by Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk )and discharge regulations?
- What is Annex IV of MARPOL 73/78(Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Sewage from Ships )and discharge regulations ?
- What is Annex V of MARPOL 73/78 (Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Garbage from ships) and discharge regulations?
- What is Annex VI of MARPOL 73/78 (Regulations for the Prevention of Air Pollution from ships) and discharge regulations?