In case of suspecious movement or pirates trying to board the vessel, steps to be followed:
- Inform master & E/Room.
- Raise the emergency alarm signal and address on PA “SHIP UNDER PIRATE ATTACK”. ALL CREW TO PROCEED TO SECURED AREA sound the whistle.
- Change over to hand sterring and post extra lookouts on bridge.
- Emergency means of communication to be located (carried to)the secured area.
- Establish VHF contact with coast station and other ships in vicinity.
- REQUEST ASSISTANCE From Local Port Authority , Police ,Coast Guard & Navyas necessary.
- If possible speed up & carry out evasive maneuvers.
- Direct search lights on the craft & possibly blind the craft.
- Fix time & position of attack.
You may also know –
Follow up actions & response to actual attack:
- Transmit Piracy Alert message consisting of ;
a) Vessel name, callsign/Inmarsat10(+ocean region code)Mayday.
b) Vessel position.
c) Nature of event.
- Avoid violence ,only actin self – defence.
- All muster at the secured area and remain mustered until the danger is over.
- Continous contact ( communication ) with E/R via portable walkie- talkie.
- Check for any loss or damage and notify the company and local port authorities in the following format: